Sunday, May 15, 2016

Au Revior!

Today we leave France and head to Chicago for the week!  It is very bittersweet, as I really have enjoyed our time here.

Things I love and will miss  about France:
*The beauty of the buildings and landscape
*The kids' school
*Walking a mile to school with the kids and chatting with the other kids and moms
*The delicious food! Baguettes and butter!
*The markets
*Walking
*Fewer committments. Curtis had dinner every day with us and on weekends played catch with the boys. These things don't happen in Inola, sad but true.
*Public transportation
*The healthy lifestyle
*The parks and running trails
*My kids learning French
*Adventure
*Diversity. We met nice people from every walk of life, every color, nation and belief. I love for the kids to learn that even if we don't agree on everything, look alike or even have the same native tongue, we can still be friends.
*Wide definitions of beauty and body acceptance (plastic surgery isn't even a thing here)
*Watching Memaw and Aunt Laura enjoy France
*Mild weather

A few things I look forward to:
*Sleeping in my own bed
*My gym(s). Don't judge me. I ate a lot of bread here.
*My people
*More space
*Dryers
*Toilets and toilet seats. If youre lucky enough to find a western toilet, odds are there won't be a toilet seat
*English
*Having a car
*Chicago
*Relieving my housesitters and all those helping with my home and dogs. I owe you guys.
*The lake
*Fewer people walking around crowded streets with lit cigarettes inches from my kids' faces. Everyone smokes in France.
*The return of my guitar, Summer. Curtis wanted to bring all the luggage down and told me to go wait on the taxi with the kids, so I did and said "Please don't forget my guitar." My guitar remains in Toulouse. I'm being moderately cool about it. Until her hopeful return I will play my electric, Jimmy.
*Traveling again :)

What I have learned:
*We really enjoyed time with just the 5 of us. We have so little of it at home.
*My Spanish is better than I thought, as the French often  knew Spanish and not English (we are 2 hours from Spain in Toulouse) and often times we were able to get through simple conversations together in Español.
*We adapt quickly to change
*I pinpointed some things I want to be different at home
*It is hard ans sometimes scary to not speak the language. I like my kids to know how hard it is for the new guy in town and pray this experience taught them what it is like to walk a mile in someone else's ill-fittingshoes.
P.s. it is normal to bring butter on an airplane in your purse, right?

7 comments:

  1. What a great experience for you guys. Seems like it went fast. Looking forward to seeing you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It went very fast! It was a good experience. I hope to do that again someday!

      Delete
    2. It went very fast! It was a good experience. I hope to do that again someday!

      Delete
  2. I have enjoyed reading your blog, and I think maybe you should turn this into a book! You have a very pleasing, and easy to read way of writing! You make us all feel like we are there with you! Thanks for letting me share in your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the recap. Butter is always acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously regret bringing our clothes home. Wish we would have just brought bags of butter.

      Delete